US Visa
  • dimartinolaw
  • August 24, 2022

Help Your Siblings Get A U.S. Green Card

If you have a brother or sister who lives in another country, you can confirm their eligibility to immigrate here using the same process as parents, children, or spouses. You just need to first establish a valid family relationship.

If you are a U.S. citizen, you can petition on behalf of your sibling living in another country. On the other hand, if you have a green card and are therefore a lawful permanent resident of the United States, you cannot sponsor siblings. You must become a naturalized citizen with the help of an Italian immigration attorney first before being able to file on behalf of brothers or sisters.

Green Cards

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the government department that handles green card applications. A green card can be obtained only by people who fulfil specific criteria in order to live and work in the USA by yourself or through an expert Italian immigration attorney.

There is a maximum number of approvals the USCIS offers for some applications, like employment-based green cards. However, there is no limit to family-based green card sponsorships, which most immigrants use to gain permanent residence.

Can I Sponsor anyone?

 You can sponsor your immediate relatives, such as spouses, parents, children, Who are given higher priority by the USCIS when processing green cards. Furthermore, family members may be sponsored by both U.S. citizens and green card holders.

If you are a U.S. citizen age 21 or older, you can also sponsor your eligible brothers and sisters, including:

  1. Any age: Your siblings can be of any age.
  2. Full or half-siblings: You may sponsor a sibling, regardless of whether you have the same mother or father.
  3. Adopted or step-siblings: Legally, siblings are defined as individuals sharing one or both parents. It doesn’t matter if you and your brother or sister share DNA.

To show that you related to your sibling, you need to provide documentation like birth certificates or marriage papers during the application process through any Naturalization Lawyer in Los Angeles.

Necessary Forms Required

The first step to sponsorship is filing an immigration petition by a Naturalization Lawyer in Los Angeles on behalf of your relative. If you’re looking to sponsor a family member, the form you need is Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Keep in mind that you will also need to attach copies of documents supporting your familial relationship with the applicant.

The second important form is Form I-485, the Adjustment of Status. This document must be completed by your relative in order for them to obtain legal permanent residency (LPR) and green card holder status.

Process for Getting a Green Card for a Sibling

There are many steps to the immigration process, and it can be difficult to understand what is required of applicants. This is especially true when you are trying to help a close family member immigrate to the U.S. Here are the steps to follow:

  1. By filing an immigration petition, Form I-130, you ensure that your sponsored family member can live with you in your home country.
  2. Your petition is approved by the USCIS and receives a priority date.
  3. A visa number will be available for use when the priority date surpasses the cut-off date listed in the U.S. Department of State’s monthly visa bulletin.
  4. After a visa number has become available, an immigrant can apply for immigration status and move to the United States.
  5. Finally, the family member applying for a green card files Form I-485.

Time required for processing a Green Card for a Sibling?

In the United States, siblings are given a lower priority in the immigration system and are placed in “fourth preference” or category F4. Because of this, those wanting to immigrate with their siblings can expect very long times as they navigate through the necessary steps.

Getting a visa to live in the United States may take your brother or sister ten years or more, depending on their country of origin. Then, once they arrived, they have to reside lawfully in the United States for at least five years before being able to apply for their green card.

Want to Sponsor your Sibling?

The sooner you submit your sponsorship petition, the likelier it is that there will be shorter delays during your sibling’s immigration journey. Di Martino Law Group is operating on both sides of the Atlantic in California and Rome. Di Martino Law Group has a team of experienced Italian immigration attorneys to help you green card for your relative. They have over 40 years of experience and have helped thousands of people immigrate to the United States. Contact us today to book a consultation!


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *